Tuesday, August 9, 2011

The challenge of offering enough leafy veggies ...

I always feel the need to offer more than swiss chard and kale ... those two stalwarts of the veggie world. Swiss chard and kale ... spring, summer, fall and winter. How much can one really eat without getting abysmally bored?

When the beets come in then there is the variation of beet leaves. Mizuna has also offered welcome relief.

I think we are getting better at offering a wider range of leafy veggies.
This year we were able to extend our growing season by doing early plantings of spinach, which did very, very well indeed. We also planted patchoy which was more of a challenge.

We planted the smaller Toy Choy variety which I have found, after numerous attempts, bolts very quickly.

For the first time, as we move towards fall, I planted "Shanghai patchoy", a larger "White Stemmed Patchoy" (name unknown) and once again the "Toy Choy" variety.
What was amazing was to see the seeds I had planted on Sunday already germinated by Tuesday! Unfortunately, I planted the two larger varieties in the 100 cell trays which proved to be too small and stressed the seedlings out. On top of that, something ate most of the seedlings! I planted the smaller variety in slightly larger cells and those did very well. I planted the smaller variety out yesterday. We'll see if it bolts.

I will do another round of patchoy shortly.

1 comment:

shin park said...

Hello there, I was wondering where and how can I buy your products in Richmond?
my email is shinpark211@gmail.com so please let me know! I am so excited to find organic farmers in Richmond!